My name is Matt Reid and I’m so proud to call London home.
London is where I grew up, went to school, started my career, and got involved in our community - volunteering my time in an effort to build a better, brighter future for our city.
I’m running to be your City Councillor in Ward 8 because our neighbourhoods deserve proven leadership that works for you and your family - putting your interests first.
For years, I’ve been honoured to serve our community as a School Trustee and Chair for the Thames Valley District School Board. In this role, I have advocated for London families and made concrete improvements to the education system for the School Board’s 75,000 elementary and secondary school students and 7,800 teachers and staff. I am also proud to have served on several TVDSB committees including the Planning and Priorities Committee, the Policy Committee, Program and School Services Committee and the Audit Committee.
In 2016, I was fortunate to be named one of London’s Top 20 Under 40 by Business London Magazine, and in 2017, I was awarded the prestigious Ken Sadler Award from Pride London for outstanding individual contributions to the London community.
My training and experience as a lawyer with Cohen Highley LLP in London has afforded me the opportunity to help people in my professional life too. Prior to commencing my legal career, I worked as an intern with the Ministry of the Attorney General and did constituency work for a provincial cabinet minister.
I’m proud to have graduated with distinction from Western University, where I was a Weston Loran Scholar, earning my Honours Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and later a law degree at the University of Ottawa. While at Western, I was elected to the University’s Board of Governors and Senate and had the privilege of volunteering in Tanzania doing HIV relief work.
With your support I hope to continue and grow my contributions to our shared community as London’s next Ward 8 City Councillor.
- Chair of the Board, Thames Valley District School Board
- Co-Chair of the London and Middlesex Ontario Justice Education Network (OJEN)
- School Trustee, Thames Valley District School Board (London Wards 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6)
- Past President and Chair of the Board for HOBY Canada (Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership)
- Past Treasurer of the Regional HIV/Aids Connection (RHAC)
- Past Member of the City of London’s Community Safety and Crime Prevention Advisory Committee
- Past Member of the London and Middlesex Road Safety Strategic Committee
- Past Member, Western University’s President’s Selection Committee
- Former Governor, Western University’s Board of Governors
- Former Student Trustee, Thames Valley District School Board
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Middlesex Law Association
- Former Executive Member of the Sexual Orientation Gender Identity Committee of the Ontario Bar Association